Derived from milk, casein paint dates all the way back to Asian cave paintings.
It was widely used up until the Renaissance, and it's durable, fast-drying, and water-soluble. It does smells a little strange, but the smell dissipates as it dries! Do not use if you are allergic to dairy products.
- Casein powder
- Earth & Mineral Pigments
Prep time: 5 min. prep; then let sit overnight. 5 more min., and let sit an hour.
- Mix 2 Tbsp. casein powder with 5 oz. warm water, and let sit overnight.
- Discard the water that accumulates on the surface.
- Mix 1 Tbsp. borax with 4 oz. hot water, and add to casein/water mixture. Let sit for one hour.
- Mix a spoonful of the casein mix with pigment in a glass bowl or on your palette.
- Paint on wood, paper, or canvas. Add water if you want a watercolor effect.
Mixtures last a week if refrigerated.