There are several natural paint options for indoor murals.
The Natural Earth Paint Kit contains wonderful pigments for indoor mural paint, especially if children want to be involved in the process. Another very durable option is Natural Acrylic Paint created with our Natural Acrylic Medium. The recipe below uses our Earth & Mineral Pigments and works great on drywall and natural building surfaces (cob walls, strawbale walls, clay walls, etc.).
- Wheat, rice, or rye flour
- Earth & Mineral Pigments
Create the Wheat Paste
- Use about 1 part flour to 6 parts water.
- Mix the flour with a small amount of water to make a smooth paste.
- Add hot water to make a thin consistency.
- Cook on low heat, stirring constantly until it thickens to an oatmeal-type consistency.
- Use immediately or refrigerate to preserve it for a few days.
Mix the Paints
- Mix 1-2 parts water with 1 part wheat paste.
- Add pigments until the desired color is achieved, not exceeding a ratio of 20% by volume.
- Paint away!
Note: wet paint is much darker than when it's dry on the wall! For exterior mural paint, use our Natural Acrylic Recipe.