Gouache is a beautiful, water-based artist paint, similar to acrylic or an opaque watercolor.
- Earth & Mineral Pigments
- Gum Arabic Powder
- Limestone Powder (Impasto Medium)
- Honey (for a vegan version, use glycerin!)
Optional Ingredients: Clove or Thyme Essential Oil (mild preservative)
1. Mix the “Watercolor Base”
- Mix 1 cup hot water with ½ cup Gum Arabic Powder
- Add in 1/5 cup honey or glycerin (a little less than ¼ cup)
- Add two drops of clove or thyme essential oil to help preserve it
- In separate bowl, mix 1 Tbsp. honey with 9 TBSP of above mixture (1:9) - this is your "base".
3. Mix one part "base" with one part pigment/limestone mix.
(For Example: 1 Tbsp. base & 1 Tbsp. pigment mix). Adjust as needed as each pigment has different properties and absorbs different amounts of liquid.
4. Store in airtight jar or aluminum tube. Refrigerate to prolong life of paint.
* Photography by Darrin Johnson