In an effort to spread the word about the incredible organizations we give back to and the work they're accomplishing, we're continuing our Giving Spotlight blog series. This month's spotlight is on Green America.
Green America harnesses economic power—the strength of consumers, investors, businesses, and the marketplace—to create a socially just and environmentally sustainable society.
We work for a world where all people have enough, where all communities are healthy and safe, and where the abundance of the Earth is preserved for all the generations to come.
We focus on these four areas for system transformation, insisting on social justice and environmental health across all sectors. We believe if we can get these right, the rest of the economy will follow:
- Climate and clean energy
- Sustainable food and agriculture
- Responsible investing
- Fair labor
Our Powerful Strategic Areas
Consumer Education and Mobilization
Theory of Change: Consumers are the pressure point for economic change-- it always starts with the customer demanding change
Green Business Network
Theory of Change: Small businesses are the innovators and job creations-- a green economy requires a vibrant small green business sector. Learn more: http://www.greenbusinessnetwork.org/
Center for Sustainability Solutions
Theory of Change: Direct engagement with major supply chain players for solutions at scale—consumers demand the change, green businesses prove it can be done, and major players bring it to scale for system transformation. Learn more: http://www.centerforsustainabilitysolutions.org/
What Makes Green America Unique
- We mobilize people in their economic roles—as consumers, investors, workers, business leaders—to address issues of social justice and environmental sustainability.
- We empower individuals to make purchasing and investing choices to build a just and sustainable world.
- We empower people to take personal and collective action.
- We work on issues of social justice and environmental responsibility. We see these issues as completely linked in the quest for a sustainable world. It’s what we mean when we say “green.”
- We work to stop abusive practices and to create healthy, just, and sustainable practices.
- We demand an end to corporate irresponsibility through collective economic action.
- We promote green and fair trade business principles while building the market for businesses adhering to these principles.
- Our democratically-constituted board is elected by our members from our consumer, business, and staff stakeholders.
- Green America operates as a collaborative and participatory workplace, where staff members are encouraged to give input and to reach consensus through democratic decision-making processes on key issues affecting staff of the organization." (source)
Visit our Sustainability page to learn more about Natural Earth Paint's mission to give back.